Sunday 6 October 2019

Outside of the souq

The buildings in the Msheireb area.
Architecture tended to be blocky around here.
Just outside of the souq I found the camel pen.
You can get lots of close up photos of these beasts.
They look ungainly but they are well adapted to the climate.
Across the road is the Clock Tower.
The Al Shouyoukh Mosque.
I decided to have a change of scenery and caught the metro to the Corniche station where I hoped there would be views of the skyline and harbour.
Workers were busy putting down turf.
A small glimpse of the harbour. Notice it's quite windy (and dusty).
They were also constructing shaded walkways.
It was much cooler underneath.
Umbrella decorations.
I had no desire to go trudging further in the heat so I found a pizza lunch in another part of Doha. It was just only edible and expensive. Most foodstuff is imported.

And that was the end of my half-day whirlwind tour of Doha. On the way back to the hotel I passed the odd shaped building again.
I had a shower and napped until it was time to take the hotel shuttle to the airport.

So it was goodbye via the other airport landmark, which bookends the "sad koala" at the first stopover.

That outing satisfied my curiosity about the region. I don't think I'll ever be back. Everything is harsh and stark in that climate, and can only get hotter. I'd much prefer greener and cooler climes.

No comments:

Post a Comment