Sunday 6 October 2019

Off to the souq

I had a few places earmarked to visit in half a day, and the Souq Waqif (bazaar) was one. Research had informed me that the way to get around where walking was impractical was to use the metro system. A network diagram and detailed descriptions can be found on this page.

Before I set out, I got some riyals from an ATM inside the hotel.

This is a commercial or shopping centre near my hotel. I found the shape interesting.
This was my point of entry into the metro system, the Umm Ghuwailina station. Inside I found a spotless and fairly empty station, ticket vending machines and far more staff than passengers, all eager to help me buy a ticket and show me the right platform. Most (all?) of the staff were foreign workers. I think they had been hired for the upcoming FIFA World Cup 2019.
The carriages were new and there was a lot of room.
The outside of the souq.

Closer up.
A garments alley.
Handicraft.
Outside restaurant.
First floor dining.
Looking towards the city centre.
The Fanar Tower.
Another view of Fanar.
Exterior shops.
One of the many cuisines available.
Notice the huge fans.
It was not lunchtime yet.
The Art Centre.
After the souq I had a bottle of fruit juice for refreshment in a nearby shady passageway. There was also free WiFi for me to catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment